4 Best Resistance Band Exercises for Glutes
These exercises use resistance bands to achieve round, full glutes. If transforming your glutes is your main goal, it's important to incorporate high volume each week to really stimulate these muscles.
Anatomy of the Glutes
The glutes are made up of three muscles.
The gluteus Maximus is the largest gluteal muscle and is mainly used for hip extension. For example, it's the muscle used to rise from a squat or deadlift and perform a glute kickback.
The gluteus medius and minimus are the smaller upper and outer portion of your glutes. You use them for thigh abduction, thigh internal rotation when the hips are flexed, and thigh external rotation when the hips are extended.
In order to achieve rounded glutes, you need to be working all three of these muscles so understanding how they work and the function of each of them is important.
The Squat Myth
If you're a woman focused on building the booty, chances are you've encountered the "do your squats" advice. Many women fall into the trap of believing that squats are THE way to go when it comes to building the glutes.
It's not that the glutes aren't involved. They certainly are. But their activation is limited in the squat.
Especially if you have weak glutes or are just getting started with working them, your body will likely recruit the quads and hamstrings to do the glutes work in different compound movements. Your body is always going to find the easiest way to achieve the movement you're demanding of it. So if the glutes are weak and the quads are strong, your quads will take most of the force through the squatting movement.
Fret not! This doesn't mean you're doomed never to have the glutes of your dreams.
You just need to focus more on a combination of compound and glute isolation exercises. Isolation exercises are exactly what they sound like. While compound exercises require work from several different muscles throughout the body, isolation work focuses primarily on one muscle.
You will see significantly faster progress in the gluteal region if you start incorporating some glute isolation work into your routine.
The Best Band Exercises for Glutes
These exercises will help you work all three gluteal muscles with just a resistance band. For each movement, pause at the peak of the contraction and then slowly return to the starting position. This will increase time under tension, ensure you create good mind muscle connection, and continue activation of the muscles through the negative or isometric portion of the movement.
Happy booty building!
1. Start on all fours with hands shoulder width apart and knees hip width apart.
2. With a resistance band around your thighs, raise one leg up and out to the side while maintaining the bend in your knee.
3. Once your raised leg is in line with your torso, pause, and then slowly return to the starting position.
1. Lay on your side with a resistance band around your thighs. Knees should be bent at a 90 degree angle.
2. Lift your upper knee away from your lower knee.
3. Slowly lower your upper knee back to the starting position.
1. With a resistance band around your lower legs, face and hold a wall or bench for balance.
2. Slowly lift one leg up and behind you.
3. Pause, and then slowly return the leg to the starting position without putting your foot back on the ground until completion of the set.
1. With a resistance band around your lower legs, hold a wall or bench for balance to one side.
2. Lift the leg opposite of your support out to the side.
3. Pause, and then slowly return to the starting position.
Want More of My Workouts and Fit Tips?
I've been helping women just like you reach their body goals for over a year - from weight loss to competition goals to metabolic rehabilitation to muscle gain.
If you're ready for the rest of my workout and nutrition secrets and want to transform your body the fun way, APPLY HERE for a customized training and nutrition program. I will be there to coach you every step of the way so we can get you better, lasting results.
Not convinced? Check out some of these amazing success stories from women JUST LIKE YOU. Stop telling yourself you're too old, too far off, too busy, too tired. You are NONE of these things!
No more waiting for the perfect time. There will never be a perfect moment. The time to make a change is always RIGHT NOW! Let me show you what you can do.
Pin this Workout for Later