Glutes Dumbbell Workout
Contrary to popular belief, when you want to build the glutes, squats are actually NOT your best friend. Glute activation during the squat is much lower than during other glute focused exercises.
Another thing women get wrong is believing they need to lift super heavy 24/7 to build the booty.
While heavy lifts are important, you want to vary your weight and rep ranges to prevent plateaus in progress.
In this workout, we're incorporating much lighter weight and higher reps. The advantage here is that you can really focus on that mind muscle connection and ensure the glutes are pulling the weight.
Often as we go heavier with lower body exercises, the quads and hamstrings are recruited to pull the heavier load. When we go light, we can ensure the glutes are getting as much out of each movement as possible. Really pay attention to the glute contraction throughout the whole workout.
This workout is made up of two supersets (2 exercises performed together) and one tri set (3 exercises performed together.) Exercises labeled with the same letter make up one set. They are to be performed together without rest in between.
For example, you will perform 15 reps of sumo squats and then 15 reps of squats to leg lifts without rest in between. Once you've performed 15 reps of each, THEN you can take 60 seconds to rest before the next set. Complete 4 sets.
1. Stand up straight with a dumbbell between both hands and your feet wider than shoulder width apart. Point your toes out diagonally.
2. Bend at the knees while moving your hips back. Keep knees in line with your toes.
3. When your thighs are parallel to the ground, pause, and then slowly return to the starting position.
Squats to Side Leg Lifts
1. Stand up straight with your feet shoulder width apart.
2. Bend at the knees and move your hips backwards as though you're moving to sit in a chair.
3. Once your thighs are parallel to the floor, drive through your heels to push yourself back upward, moving your hips forward as you do so.
4. When you reach the starting position, lift one leg out to the side, keeping it straight as you do so.
5. Return to the starting position.
Dumbbell Donkey Kicks
1. Get on all fours on an exercise mat. Position a dumbbell behind one knee.
2. With your knees bent and your feet flexed, lift the leg supporting the dumbbell (keeping it bent at 90 degrees) until that leg is level with your hip.
3. Lower the knee without touching the floor and repeat the lift.
Weighted Glute Bridge
1. Place a dumbbell on your pelvis while laying flat on your back. Bend your knees and bring your feet towards your hips.
2. Raise your hips up by driving through your heels.
3. When your thighs form a straight line with your upper body, slowly lower your hips back to the starting position without dropping to the mat.
Tri Set C
1. Clasp your hands together in front of you and position your feet hip width apart.
2. With your right foot, step backward and and to your left so that the right foot crosses the left. Bend the knee as you do so.
3. When the front thigh is parallel to the ground, push off with your right foot and return to the starting position.
Overhead Dumbbell Squats
1. Lift a pair of dumbbells up over your head and keep your arms stationary for the entire movement.
2. Once you feel stable, bend your knees and move your hips backward as though you're moving to sit in a chair.
3. When your thighs are parallel to the ground, drive through your heels to push yourself back up, moving your hips forward as you do so.
1. Stand with your feet wider than shoulder width apart and your toes slightly pointed outward. Clasp your hands together in front of you.
2. Bend your knees into a squat.
3. Quickly and explosively jump so that your feet come together.
4. Explosively jump back outward to the starting position.
Want More of My Workouts and Fit Tips?
I've been helping women just like you reach their body goals for over a year - from weight loss to competition goals to metabolic rehabilitation to muscle gain.
If you're ready for the rest of my workout and nutrition secrets and want to transform your body the fun way, APPLY HERE for a customized training and nutrition program. I will be there to coach you every step of the way so we can get you better, lasting results.
Not convinced? Check out some of these amazing success stories from women JUST LIKE YOU. Stop telling yourself you're too old, too far off, too busy, too tired. You are NONE of these things!
No more waiting for the perfect time. There will never be a perfect moment. The time to make a change is always RIGHT NOW! Let me show you what you can do.
Pin this Workout for Later